View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #60
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post

Now, suppose that, once it was finished, you couldn't get anyone to look at it. No one at all. Therefore no appreciation, no accolades, no "job well done, sir." And it looked like no one was ever going to see it.
Are you saying nobody has ever downloaded one of your stories, not even the free ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
How would that knowledge impact you? Would you consider your time and effort wasted? If you knew that a future project would achieve the same results (ie, no one would ever see it), would you be as inclined to spend that time and effort to create it? Do you really create only for you, or do you in fact crave a pat on the back, even if it's from only one person, to make your effort worthwhile?
Pats on the back are nice, money is even nicer. The pats encourage me to continue, the money encourages Mrs Ploppy to free up a bit more of my time. But I spent over a year writing without either of them, and only about 5 blog visitors a month. That didn't really change until I started putting them on pirate sites.

I think writing for your own amusement (as a hobby) is really the only way to look at it. If you don't get any entertainment value from it, there's really no point. Vast amounts of money wouldn't change that either.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote