View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #47
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I don't think anyone said you should stop writing, just that you should have more realistic expectations of how much money you are going to make from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Sounds like you are primarily profit motivated. I am not sure this is a good business for you in that case.
I don't see anything unrealistic about wanting to supplement my income with writing... one of the few things that I can do well. I have a good day job, too--as does my wife--so, no, I don't need to supplement my income just to pay the bills. But there's no law that says I can't try.

So far, the best actual advice I've heard from anyone was to start writing something popular (though it saddens my heart to think SF isn't popular enough in itself). No, I'm not going to start writing sparkly vampires; but there may be other popular tropes I can handle.

Of course, I suppose I could try to supplement my income by doing something I do badly instead... (Shatnerian pause) but why?

I'd much rather try to figure out how to get something I like to do, and do well, pay a dividend. But listening to a lot of "not gonna happen" comments doesn't help.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote