View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #155
Inemi
Connoisseur
Inemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toys

Device: Boox i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe_alter_ego View Post
If I may suggest something ... introduce a single global "Advanced Options" setting (somewhere in the "top-main menu", valid for all "sub-menus", i.e. one setting for the "whole device").
If it's "off" (should be the "factory default"), the user will get just the most "basic" options everywhere (good for "novice users"). If someone switches it "on", you can display as many options as needed (good for "experienced users").
One could also imagine a "Level of Experience" option (instead of a simple "on" / "off" for "Advanced Options") ... something like the "Dreyfus model of skill acquisition" ...
1 = "Novice" ("factory default"), 2 = "Advanced Beginner", 3 = "Competent", 4 = "Proficient", 5 = "Expert", 6 = "Master", 7 = "???", ..., 9 = "Hacker" ... or something like "The Seven Stages of Expertise in Software Engineering" ... 1 = "Innocent / Naive", 2 = "Exposed / Aware", 3 = "Apprentice / Student", 4 = "Practitioner / Apprentice", 5 = "Journeyman", 6 = "Master", 7 = "Researcher / Expert", ..., 9 = "Hacker"
Note: there should be a possibility to "reset all options to factory defaults" somewhere.
First, thank you booxtor for this update, it works fine.

Second, you should divide in basic and advanced options. Basic ones (the most used) requires a graphic interface, the second, for advanced users, just needs a configuration text file where at each line there are questions like "Do you want an exit confirm?" yes/no, as always in linux. To simplify editing, this file should be in the internal and mounteble partition.
Instead a graphical interface for options you click only 1 time is useless and wastes screen space.
Inemi is offline   Reply With Quote