View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Official MobileRead Book Club: Welcome thread/November's book choice thread

Welcome to the newly-minted MobileRead Book Club!

I'm really glad that there's enough interest in trying this! I'm hoping it's going to be a fun, educational, and rewarding experience for everyone. My hope is that we all get to try new and different genres and authors, and that we can discuss our ideas and opinions together.

The general idea is that we will all concurrently read one agreed-upon book per month. We will decide the upcoming month's book in a dedicated thread during the 3rd week of the previous month, and start the book on the 1st of the following month. Then, we'll all have three weeks to read, and during the 4th week of the month, we'll open a new thread for open discussion and critique of that month's book.

For November, we'll be reading A Passage to India, by E.M. Forster. The November schedule will be as follows:

November 1st (or before, if you're just totally on fire ): Begin reading
November 17th: Thread for December book nominations opens
November 20th: Nominations thread closes, voting thread opens
November 23rd: Voting thread closes
December 1st: December's read begins

Here's the schedule for the next 12 months. I noticed on the other thread that people are already throwing out suggestions for upcoming months. Since the nomination threads for those months won't open until the week before the month starts, feel free to continue to discuss and post suggestions in this thread.

I would ask that before posting a book for consideration, you check price and format availability. When you make a suggestion, please post both of those things so that folks can determine if it's available for their device as well as if it's affordable. I'd like to cap book prices at $10, if we can agree on that, to make this as inclusive as possible.

November
Fiction--A Passage to India, by E.M. Forster

December
MobileRead Classic (can be any genre, but must be a classic and must be available in our library)

January
Science Fiction (can be from anywhere, including our library)

February
MobileRead Contemporary (can be any genre, but must be contemporary and must be available in our library)

March
Nonfiction (can be from anywhere, including our library)

April
MobileRead Author (must be a book from an author who frequents MobileRead)

May
Horror (can be from anywhere, including our library)

June
MobileRead Classic

July
Humor (can be from anywhere, including our library)

August
MobileRead Contemporary

September
Mystery (can be from anywhere, including our library)

October
MobileRead Author

We're going to give this a go and see what happens...this is the first time I've organized something like this, so your suggestions and advice are always appreciated!

Last edited by PsyDocJoanne; 10-16-2008 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Edited to add content. - boldfaced for ease -Don
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote