View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #99
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
But ... we can remove the DRM.

I guess what bothers me is that watermarking seems much more benign than the current DRM, but it really might not be.
I agree with the potential consequences of false positives through watermarking. When I was new to understanding encrypted drm, however, I was horrified and offended at the very idea, that I bought a book at "real book" prices, and (prior to discovering the tools) could NOT manipulate the book and/or read it on the program (calibre and or whatever reader I was using) of my own choosing.

I'm less offended at books with encrypted DRM when the price is free or next to nothing, yet somehow don't feel ripped off buying a book for as much as $10 that is sold without encrypted DRM.

All of the downfalls with watermarking have a smaller chance of happening to me, but would be equally as horrifying if they did. So I may "change" my answer somewhat to "both are equally bad".

My main answer is I just want to have incentive to buy stuff if I could be guaranteed to be left the heck alone after the transaction is made.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote