View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I think it is in bad taste and form to upload a KF8 only book.
  • Doing so thumbs your nose/beak at all the Kindle owners who do not have a KF8 capable reader/app
  • Those who have at least one reader capable of reading KF8 and at least one that is not will be forced to use only the KF8 capable reader
  • Even if you upload two versions, one KF8 and one mobi, the two versions cannot be Whispersynced as one but will be treated as two distinct books. So if a person reads the KF8 version on her/his Fire and the mobi version on her/his K3 they will have to maintain two separate sets of bookmarks, notes, and locations read to. That would be a major PITA.

The only exception I can think of would be a book that requires significantly complex formatting that is only available through KF8. I can think of NO exceptions for novels, short stories, et cetera.

My thinking is that mobi should be offered for at least 2 or 3 years after Amazon stops selling mobi only readers. Amazon is still selling mobi only K3's and DX's. A few years down the road when few mobi only readers are still operating then KF8 only could become the norm.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-31-2012 at 11:03 AM.