View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 07:27 AM   #5
Joyeuse
Joyeuse began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
A few things that may or may not be important to you:

- Font management. Out of the box, you can load your own fonts onto a Kobo. Some people find the Kindle fonts hideous. But not all people.

- Library books: no Kindle borrowing in Australian public libraries, as far as I know; whereas you can borrow epubs that you put through Adobe Digital Editions for your Kobo.

- Not a huge difference between store ranges, except for Amazon-exclusive books (I don't know if they're a dealbreaker interest for you). Kindle is generally a slightly cheaper list price, but the Kobobooks discount thread means that the savvy shopper usually can get cheaper books at Kobo.

- Collection management is far better on the Kobo, with the use of Calibre.

- Once you do have Calibre set up to manage your books and your collections, it really is trivial to install DRM-cleansing (which we can't detail here), which means that shopping anywhere is easy, and a later change in device won't make your purchases useless.

- Just to check that you know this, because it's not quite clear from your post: you factory reset at home with button presses, you don't need to take it anywhere.

- Both are decent devices and odds are you'll be happy with either purchase, if no dealbreakers (like the library thing) surprise you afterwards.
Hi Meeera. I had no idea that I wouldn't be able to borrow library ebooks on a Kindle -- my local library set up ebook borrowing a few months ago, so I had definitely planned on taking advantage of that!

That's a big plus to the Kobo and a big minus to the Kindle... I think that alone may push me towards buying the Kobo.
Joyeuse is offline   Reply With Quote