View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 06:40 PM   #30
Chris_Snow
Zealot
Chris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
At some point in the beginning of the year, Windows 10 suddenly started to very slow on both my desktop and laptop, even freezing the laptop occasionally. After scouring the internet for hours, I found the cause to this problem: Microsoft seems to have changed something in one of their default hard drive controller drivers with regard to Intel-based boards. That made some Skylake Intel-based systems VERY slow while writing (my desktop), and could sometimes freeze a computer entirely (my laptop) by hanging the hard drive (busy 100% all the time without actually doing anything, clogging up the busses on the mainboard).

This appears to be a problem between the BIOS/UEFI and the hard drive controller drivers.

The solution was to install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) drivers for both my laptop and desktop. They are normally needed only if you want to set up some sort of special RAID-like hard drive solution. The driver in the RST package replaces the Microsoft driver, and that fixed the entire problem.

I don't know if Microsoft fixed this problem since then, but as the intallation of the RST package solved it, and did not create any new problems, I've left it as is.

What mainboard do you have? If it's Intel-based, it might be worth it to try this.

Note: back up your data before you start messing with drivers. Installing the wrong HDD-drivers (wrong RST drivers for your mainboard) could render your system unbootable.
This would be a course of last resort. I have a Asus Prime 270-AR MB. The thing is, this only seems to happen with calibre writing to the db (or whatever it writes to)?? I haven't noticed anything else amiss.
Chris_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote