View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #130
zentype
Space Cowboy
zentype began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
But isn't it true that when you d/l applications to a jailbroken phone via Cydia (I think that's the name) you get them without paying? Isn't that one of the main reasons to jailbreak?
Had to chime in for those who don't know all the benefits on jailbreaking. And this isn't directed towards you specifically but those who may not really understand the benefits.

First Cydia actually has a few pay for applications (MySMS and Snapture are two excellent apps worth buying) There are quite a few free applications that I can't live without (categories, quickgold) but there aren't "pirated apps" on Cydia if that's what you mean.

And volrath pretty much has the best answer. Jailbreaking (or really just running custom firmware) allows you to use your iphone as a real computer. You can access the file system and install what you want.

Just imagine if you bought a computer and the manufacturer decided what you could and could not install on it. And you'll understand the biggest benefit to running custom firmware...

I couldn't go back to a stock phone. And the funny thing is I know some Apple employees who run custom firmware on their iphones too...

And it's easy enough to revert to stock if you ever wanted to; there really isn't a disadvantage to it.. provided you know what you're doing.
zentype is offline   Reply With Quote