View Single Post
Old 07-17-2005, 06:40 AM   #8
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
DRM = worthless

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath
It wont be DRMed moreso than any other book, so I disagree. I would rather support authors, BUT I also want to read an ebook format. An interesting conundrum.
Once an eBook is DRMed, it immediately becomes worthless. This is because the DRM doesn't lock the book to you. It locks the book to a particular device/software.

When I buy a paper book, I can read it where and when I want. But if I buy a DRMed eBook, my options are limited - drastically. Personally, I don't like Palm Reader. I think that the PDF format is useless on a handheld (too bloated and requires that you use overpriced, insecure software - i.e. Windows - to get it on your PDA). And, of course, I won't touch LIT with a 10' pole.

I know that not everyone feels like I do, but as more and more people get burned by DRM, and realize that they have alternatives, they will feel like I do - and demand non-DRMed eBooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath
Also my wife bought the book at midnight last night. Does that mean I can download a copy under fair use?
According to Copyright law: Yes. According to publishers: No.