View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 02:59 AM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
[...]
For me, the book is very much about race rather than its being incidental. It made me think about the strain of living a lie, always in fear of being found out.[...]
But that fear need not be race. It could have been replaced with religion or family connection or just about any secret. What I like most about this story is that Larsen places the contentious issue of race into such a mundane setting and watches it play out, not as a means of the majority oppressing a minority, but as just another weapon in interpersonal relationships.

So, perhaps it is about race, but in the sort of reversed or negative sense that it's about how the race issue gets debased even within the Negro community.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote