View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #15438
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Now, to an indie read/review, I'll be reading The Followers by Evan Bollinger. It's a supernatural novella that seemed to me to be quite artistic in the telling. So I'll see how it goes.
OK - I finished this. It combines some multiverse ideas with pure escapism in crisis. It looks at this from two different angles and is somewhat clever about it. However, it's also a bit "all over the place", with dream imagery clashing with alternate possibilities and a second narrative not immediately connected.

Basically, for 3/4 of the story I felt adrift, suspecting the reason for it but not particularly enjoying it. As this disjointed narrative starts to drop greater hints as to what's going on it became much more interesting and I could better appreciate the author's efforts.

However, it was a bit "too little too late" for me and I was left feeling like there could have been a better way to execute what was an interesting study.

Now, next cab off the rank is another indie effort. This time it's Taking the Highway by M. H. Mead. I've already read two novels from this writing duo and enjoyed them both. This one is set in the same future world so it should feel quite familiar and hopefully will be at least as enjoyable as those I have read before.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote