Thread: ReadablePDF
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 04:34 AM   #9
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by x9kf2r View Post
Thanks, and sorry for the slow reply (dissertation deadline eclipsed the rest of life for a moment).
We all have such things in our lives.

Quote:
* Autorotate (or leaving the rotate tag off) seems to have a mind of its own, rotating unnecessarily or too much or too little.
Leaving the rotate flag off shouldn't do any rotating at all, but of course PDFs can have orientation settings separate from the contained images. That autorotate is a bit flawed is to be expected.

Quote:
* PDFs that contain any OCR already frequently cause problems. The temp folder fills with image fragments (e.g., thousands of close-ups of copier debris or blurry negatives of pages). I usually kill the process after an hour or so, so I'm not sure what comes out the other end.
PDFs that were already processed in some manner isn't really something I can think up any heuristics for. In that case I'd regard the script as executable documentation, meaning in this case that you can simply grab the relevant commands from the script while performing some manual cleanup in between.

Quote:
* A couple random PDFs were reassembled out of order. Not sure what happened; glad I caught it though.
That's worrisome and really shouldn't happen. Have you been able to ascertain at what step of the process things go wrong?

Quote:
* ScanTailor hammers my computer (3 year i3 with 4 GB ram).
Not a word I'd use unless it interfered with normal operations. I doubt my nearly six-year-old Phenom II X4 955 is any faster.

Quote:
* Grayscale or color images are converted to b/w.
That can be adjusted in ScanTailor in the output step.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote