Thread: Wind-up Girl
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Wind-up Girl

by Paolo Bacigalupi

A great read! (SO Far!) I bought it from Baen, published by Nightshade. This isn't a review, I'm not done with it yet so I don't feel right -'Reviewing' it. But I've read enough to know I'm reading something special.

Ever notice how lame so many post apocalyptic, environmental disaster stories are? Yeah! me too!

Well this one is truly different. Here the story isn't how civilization falls apart, but how civilization stays together, and how it just gets uglier and uglier. There is no oil, but there is animal power, and energy can be stored in giant clockworks springs. There is genetic modification of food, people, and animals. There is an odd commingling of genes (hence the name of the book)

Corruption is everywhere, and in third (fourth?) world countries, just about anything is available and life, human and otherwise is VERY cheap. Think of Ripley on the Nostromo, but the Nostromo is a planet and both the victims and the monsters are us.

It isn't a world I would want to live in, but it is a believable world and so far at least, logically consistent. Plus, it is very well written.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 05-11-2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: I had more brilliance to add. . .
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote