View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #440
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Claire Tomalin has written one of the more recent biographies of Charles Dickens: Charles Dickens: A Life . Our library has both the text and the audiobook so I decided to try the latter.

It was an enjoyable experience, but in the end I was disappointed with this biography. It lacked depth and detail. In fact, when one contrasts it to the work by Una Pope-Hennessy, Charles Dickens, published in 1945 just after all of the letters of the author became available, this new "Life" is dwarfed in size, detail, insight, and analytical skill. Pope-Hennessy does a far better job dealing with the novels, whereas, Tomalin simply dips quickly into some of them. {The Pope-Hennessy biography BTW is still easily obtainable in paperback--but neither as an ebook nor audiobook--so far as I know}

So, this audiobook is pleasant enough but not of much use if you are looking for something that sheds new light on or even a new perspective of Dickens. For that you must go elsewhere.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 01-28-2013 at 07:47 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote