View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #46
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
Until recently, Canadians had to buy all their books from Amazon.com (no e-books were available in Amazon.ca). Unfortunately, there are a lot of e-books that we can see but can not purchase on Amazon.com. Worse yet, Amazon.com routinely encourages Canadians to buy the latest Kindle e-readers, only to tell them that we're not allowed to if we actually follow through on the suggestion.

Kobo has 55% e-reader marketshare in Canada (and growing), and you can be sure Amazon's policies in Canada play a part in that.

Kobobooks has been good to me so I am well-aware of the company (despite the search engine not finding all of books unless you do a weird search sometimes using middle initials and sometimes not.) But I never really understood the Canada thing with Amazon because on some forums it appeared that readers Are/Were buying the books but there was some tax or other added (that we didn't pay in the US). Then it seemed to go away. And some of the complaints seemed to be "even if it is free to you, we pay 2 dollars surcharge." or "keep the price really low because even 99 cents is really 3 dollars to us." My confusion was that I didn't realize until just now that Canadians were buying from the US site--I thought they were buying from the .ca site all along.

I think the same must be true of Australia. The readers became available there, but I am guessing people are buying books from the US site (at least I am guessing that now). And that even though they are buying from the US site, some books show as "not available" because somehow Amazon tracks which ones have "world rights" and which ones don't.

The reporting is always changing, so that added to the confusion. I'm not even sure it makes a difference...although from a payment standpoint it does (to me, not the person doing the buying.)

Okay. Thanks again.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote