View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #66
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMee View Post
I see your point - and agree. However I'm just desperatly looking for a way to reboot from local storage without avail..

Diag -> Reboot freezes w/o any further changes on the display, too..

Any ideas on how to get a handle on the root cause?

ItsMee
Not yet. My touch is bricked because of a bad change I did to my copy of mntus.params.

That script worked for me, but I let the backups run until they were finished.

You can erase the main USB Drive that contains RUNME.sh from fastboot. You can reflash the main system partition with an mmcblk0p1.img file. I successfully did that for my K4NT when I copied partitions from one K4NT to another to repair it.

But I have not successfully written an image to my touch yet in fastboot. There are "forensic" copies of mmcblk0p1.img for the touch on the net: http://gitbrew.org/~dasmoover/kindle/touch/forensic/

I cannot help you fix that particular problem until I fix my own kindle touch. Sorry.

It is extremely easy to make things worse, even when you know what you are doing. Things do not always behave as you expect them to when you are trying to recover from a mysterious bricking problem. Unless you are a brave soul, it would be best to wait for simple and complete recovery tools, instead of raw "developer mode" access to diagnostics and root consoles and partition flashing tools.

Unlike older kindles, these new kindles are EXTREMELY easy to brick even when making simple changes from an SSH shell, as can be seen by comments posted to the forums and wikis. You can quickly go from "mostly repaired" to "only boots to fastboot" much too easily. Despite a huge amount of study devoted to the inner workings of kindles, I feel like there is much more that I do NOT know about know them than what I DO know, and I still keep bricking them when trying new things.

The touch with "upstart" seems to be especially touchy, and the AUTOMATIC payloads (like this one) that start on startup seem to be especially risky. It seems that a bad script (or payload sourced by a startup script) can make GOOD startup scripts refuse to run, making the device no longer able to boot until repaired

It is a LOT safer to just use your kindle to read books, like amazon intended.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-24-2012 at 06:00 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote