Thread: GPL violation?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #163
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
It does not matter whether the software was distributed. Bookeen have to provide full source code & toolchain (if not available with the operating system) along with the instruction how to re-create binaries.
I hate to belabor the fact, but you need to read the GPL again.

If you modify GPL licensed software and you only use it internally then there is NO requirement to distribute the modified software. So, it DOES matter if the software is distributed. Of course, shipping the device is the equivilent of distrbuting the software.

Quote:
If they have modified source code, they have to provide patches.
I certainly agreed. However, the first word in the above is the MOST important one, "IF". So far everything on this thread is pure conjecture.

Quote:
If they did not, they have to provide links to exact versions of software they compiled and distributed. Full stop.
That is totally false. There is no requirement when USING a GPLed software that you have to provide links to that software. I belive you only have to include the license with your distributed software/device. Take a look at the GPL FAQ from GNU.org. I think this one applies here:

I just found out that a company has a copy of a GPL'ed program, and it costs money to get it. Aren't they violating the GPL by not making it available on the Internet? No. The GPL does not require anyone to use the Internet for distribution. It also does not require anyone in particular to redistribute the program. And (outside of one special case), even if someone does decide to redistribute the program sometimes, the GPL doesn't say he has to distribute a copy to you in particular, or any other person in particular. What the GPL requires is that he must have the freedom to distribute a copy to you if he wishes to. Once the copyright holder does distribute a copy program to someone, that someone can then redistribute the program to you, or to anyone else, as he sees fit.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote