View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #13
Zafkin
Zafkin is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
The only issue is that there doesn't seem to be a simple way to access the main MMC partition from the provided u-boot - a custom initramfs solves that easily.

I've compiled an image to perform modifications quickly with a serial cable - available here http://dl.free.fr/pN6Hu6beI (gpl'ed kernel + /dev prepared with the devices list from the preloaded u-boot image + klibc utils + dropbear)

How to use it :

- Connect 3 wires to rx/tx/gnd (if you only have a 3.3V Serial-TTL converter like me, my Kindle didn't explode with a /2 voltage divider on TX - just for information), interrupt u-boot
- Upload the image with loady 0x84000000 and an Y-Modem client (minicom, hyperterminal)
- Boot the image with bootm 0x84000000
- After a few seconds you'll end up on a minimalist shell with no prompt
- Create a mount point with mkdir /root
- Mount the main partition with mount -t ext3 /dev/mmcblk0p1 /root
- Chroot to a better shell with chroot /root /bin/sh

From now on, you can do whatever you want - for example edit /etc/shadow with vi, then sync, exit the shell, and reboot. Just do it quickly, or find a way to disable the power management, otherwise it'll kick in and serial communication doesn't seem to wake up the device

For quick & dirty tests without the cable, I've included a (statically compiled & ugly) dropbear binary in /drop of the initramfs - remember to tweak the firewall in /etc/sysconfig/iptables if you want to use it. It'll be better to properly compile your own version though.

There is an account without password too, named default.
Zafkin is offline   Reply With Quote