View Single Post
Old 04-09-2021, 02:03 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
My comment was that using Preferences->Plugins certainly works, but since it apparently allows what I'm guessing is some sort of PI worker process to be uninstalled by itself, it doesn't seem as safe as using the [Get plugins to enhance calibre] option to uninstall a PI which seems to housekeep a PI and it's worker PIs all at one time.
Sorry, but, nothing along those lines happens with either method of removing a plugin. Both methods basically just delete the plugin file. They both just call the same method in the calibre base code to do this. There is no attempt to stop anything the plugin might have loaded, or to remove configuration or any other files the plugin created. Plugins do not have support for any uninstall actions. Both methods have lot more code than calling a method that deletes the zip file, but, it is all about updating the UI to show the plugin is no longer there.

As an example of this, the Annotations plugin starts something when calibre starts. And running calibre in debug mode, I can see a message that this is stopping when I close calibre. I just removed the plugin, waited a couple of minutes and closed calibre. Again, the Annotations thread wrote out a message about being closed. When I then installed the plugin, I didn't lose any configuration, and the button appeared in the same place in the toolbar.

From this, I think "remove" is the correct description of what is being done. If anything, "Install" is wrong and it should be "Add".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote