View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 09:50 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by forelock View Post
Indeed when I turn the device on the setup is initiated and when I choose computer setup a screen appears "keep your reader plugged in and download Kobo Desktop"
When I connect the device to the PC nothing happens - Kobo desktop app doesnt recognize that the device is connected, it also doesnt appear in the connnected devices on Windows.
I installed the USBDeviewprogram, but couldn't find anything related with Kobo in the USB list.

Interestingly if Kobo is powered off and I connect it to the PC it turns on and initiates the setup, but again - the connection can't be made.
That is normal behaviour. All Kobo devices turn on when plugged in. It usually happens in a few seconds, but, can take longer if the battery is flat or the device has other issues.

And I there was a small chance it would be different if the device was plugged in before trying the setup.
Quote:
I suppose it's some kind of compatibility issue.
I am willing to perform the following steps:
- Open it up and remove the micro SD card, I suppose the firmware is installed on it.
- Manually replace the current content on it with an OK version of the firmware.

I found some topics how to performs these steps.

Do you thing it's the right course of action in my situation?
At this point, it is one the only two things I can think of. If you put the firmware update files into the .kobo directory of the book partition (the FAT32 partition) you should be able to trigger the install. Usually, that happens when the device is disconnected from the PC. But, during the setup, it might do the install when you start the device. If it doesn't, choose the option to connect to the PC, do so and then disconnect after a minute or so. Hopefully that will be enough to trigger the disconnect to the device.

The other thing I can think of is replacing the SD card. These do fail, and if you have the original card, it is getting old. I wouldn't expect it to be causing the described problem, but, I don't know what triggered the original problem. If you replace the SD card, you can try an image from the current card, or I have images for these devices. I just need to know if it is the N905B or N905C.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote