View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 01:08 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Dale,

That's a good point. It will be very confusing, espesially when you see that the Jetbooks supports ePub... but no DRM version. We have .epub with Adobe DRM and will eventually have .epub with EReader DRM.

Perhaps it should be standardized as...

.epub.drmtype

For example...

.epub.erdr
.epub.adobe

OR something.

BOb
Two dots is an abomination and used by spam and viruses to mask the fact that they are an executable. I think they could change one letter, add one letter or just use .ade as an extension. Any of those could work.

The ePUB specification allows for user defined DRM but I believe they intened it like version one where mobi, eBookwise, and LIT all used the same basic format but then wrapped it in their own DRM and eventually their own format. I don't think the private format was the correct solution but private DRM is always private so it should have its own unique extension to aid the user in recognizing the format and reader that can be used to read that format.

ilovejed: I didn't intend to say that they had hijacked ePUB as a format, just the extension. I think they need to support ePUB but with a different extension so that the users are not confused. There can be lots of different DRM systems present according to the ePUB standard. Should they all use the same extension? Wouldn't that totally destroy the format and confuse the final customers? Too much today rides on the extension to abuse it in this fashion.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote