View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #2063
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The cloud collections part of the update ruined my experience. I side load 100% of my books, because I run them all through Calibre and edit the formats to my liking. I also didn't have wifi on except once a month. Thus, after the update, I got constant pop up windows about not syncing to the cloud, not being connected to wifi, I couldn't stand it. (Not to mention that it imported every collection I ever had on any Kindle since 2010..4 different devices...hundred or more collections that I didn't need or want). So yeah, it ruined the experience for me.

I could have just not used collections at all, but that was the last straw. I was already annoyed at having to embed my fonts and then open and change to publisher defaults. So like I said, cloud collections was the final nail.

I needed to use collections to put my books in, as my son was reading a book on it and I wanted him to be able to find it. So now he is reading it on my Kobo Glo, which has a home page with recent book cover tiles that I love, and he should be able to find his book right there any time.

I hear you, and you have valid concerns, but to be perfectly honest, the issue is not with Kindle, but you trying to side load books and using Calibre; nice software but certainly not designed by Amazon. Amazon's intentions are actually clear, you getting or buying books from them. Any deviation of that may break whatever customized experience you may have now. Kind of reminds me previous Nooks, when people start complaining that B&N patches broke their readers! after installing custom ROMs.

I also had some "ghost collections" from previous Kindle devices. I just deleted those once and that fixed the issue. They no longer appear on my newer Kindles.

I've read the other thread and the people that are complaining are basically because one of these two reasons, or both :

-They shared same Kindle account
-They side load content and barely use or buy Amazon books

Which again, valid concerns but maybe they should stay away of Kindles altogether and get a more "international" type of reader, like a Sony or Kobo.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote