View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
out of curiosity - how easy would it be to build a pottermore type solution i.e. don't try to add any DRM but instead add some unique seller info to each copy sold. could that be a simple scripted process with the right tools ?

i would guess that the sort of folks who will honestly purchase a self published book from an author's own site are not the sort of folks who will then upload it to a torrents site or send copies to everyone in their address book so I would question the need for drm anyway - but I suppose it only takes one bad apple...
While better than DRM in my opinion, it's not really possible to do it securely, as Kovid explains in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...98&postcount=6. Basically any non-randomised watermarking can be easily detected and removed, and absolutely all watermarking will succumb if the user copies the content in some analog way and re-creates it, such as rendering images of the book and OCR-ing them. This will beat even one scheme I saw which encoded information by using different unicode homoglyphs (which has its own set of problems regarding fonts).

There is also the issue that a user can "legitimately" lose his file, for instance I've had my reader stolen on one occasion.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote