View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather56 View Post
If I were to use the books people post on here, how would I go about uploading it to my kindle 3? Which format do I save it in and how do I get it on the device?
You have two choices:
  1. As ATDrake said, you can download them on your computer and copy them to your K3. Simply connect the K3 via USB and it will mount as an "external drive". Then copy the downloaded book to the K3's "documents" folder and "eject" the K3 (method varies depending on your computer's OS).
  2. Alternately, you can download Kindle/MobiPocket format ebooks (AZW, MOBI, PRC) directly using the K3's web browser. This works with some sights (it does with MobleRead) and not others depending on the website's server configuration. The K3's browser will save the downloaded file to the proper "documents" folder.

In any case, you need to download a format that the K3 can handle. These are the Kindle/MobiPocket format (AZW, MOBI, or PRC extensions), PDF, and TXT. Of these, only the Kindle/MobiPocket family are true ebook formats. PDF is a document format with strict pagination and is difficult to read on readers with small displays if the PDF is formatted for larger pages sizes (e.g. 8-1/2 x 11, large textbook page sizes, ...) as most are.

BTW, the common jargon usage is:
  • upload: copy the file from a general use computer (e.g. PC, Mac, ...) to a server, either web or network server.
  • download: copy a file from a server, web or network, to a computer or device
  • sideload: (new jargon word) copy a file from a general use computer (your PC or Mac or ...) to a dedicated use device (e.g. ebook reader, phone, audio player, ...) or to another general use computer.

Last edited by dwig; 02-27-2011 at 09:19 AM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote