View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
Rose
Rose doesn't litterRose doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300, Pandigital Novel, Kindle 3 with wifi
Black Pandigital Novel (Canada) - my impressions

On Monday (yesterday) my local Future Shop had the black PDN on sale for $149, down $30 from the usual selling price. I'd been thinking of getting one for awhile, so I could stay in touch with friends and family on the road without having to lug my laptop everywhere. At that price, I decided to give it a shot.

The Quick Start guide included in the box was for the US version; some of the features it outlined were not present when I powered the device on for the first time, so that was somewhat confusing. But the installed user guide was the proper one, and after reading it I was able to get the most out of the PDN.

The touchscreen was more responsive than I'd expected given the reviews. It's not as sensitive as an iPad, but I never had to tap repeatedly to get it to work. No problems with internet connection either, and e-mail worked well. I could not use the E-mail application for my free Yahoo or Hotmail accounts, but got around that by going to those sites directly and logging in.

I did encounter one issue when using the Kobo Books application. When I accessed it for the first time and tried to log in using my existing Kobo account, the application kept crashing. So I tried to download a free book first, but same thing occurred when I tried to log in after making my selection. On a hunch, I decided to buy a cheap book and see if that changed anything. SUCCESS!! I was prompted for my ADE account details, but it was smooth sailing afterward. My Kobo login details were accepted without further incident.

Despite the initial problems, I have to say I love the PDN. It does what I need it to do. Those expecting iPad-level quality and features probably won't be satisfied, and the Kobo bug was potentially off-putting, but I'm pleasantly surprised given the abundance of negative reviews. If my father didn't have a Kobo that he uses nonstop, I'd be putting the PDNB on his Christmas list.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote