View Single Post
Old 07-18-2021, 04:00 AM   #662
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Libra H20, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Was it in the same state when you woke it as when you it to sleep? Did you leave it with a book open or on something other than the home page? If the state changed, it might have restarted for some reason. Which means the database would have been reread. A crash might have corrupted the database. Or it might have been corrupted already.
I always return to the home page before putting a reader to sleep. And the reading was completely normal before. The books appeared where they should, in the order they should, and reading was completely normal, as well as calling dictionaries.

Quote:
I made some suggestions to @Cootey in another thread. Something extra would be to restart the device. That rereads the database and you can see if any books are missing, or connect to the PC an do a check on the database. If you do this after using calibre and any new books have been imported, it would give an indication of whether the database was corrupted by calibre.
When I realized there were many books missing, I did restart the device, but it changed nothing.

Afterwards I connected to Calibre, which said the DB was corrupted.

Quote:
A firmware install will reboot the device. A lot of people have blamed this on database corruption in the past. But, I am fairly sure that the database was already corrupted and the reboot is the first time the database is being reread.

I haven't heard of firmware being downgraded before, but, the firmware check does supply the current firmware version, so it could be done if Kobo had a reason to. They have withdrawn upgrades in the past, but, only by not offering it when the update check is sent.
I always have the wifi turned off, except for the short time I turned it on the morning 4.28.17925 became available, so that Kobo would upgrade it, but I turned it off immediately after, so it was off when it downgraded, unless Kobo itself turned it on, and I have the automatic upgrades unticked.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote