View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 02:35 AM   #62
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
I would like you to stop saying things, that people may believe you know what you're talking about, when it's pretty clear that you don't. Anyone who's looked at the tester file knows it includes a linked list of the books in it. There's no reason to imply I said that should not be included. As long as you say or imply things about my suggestion, which people may believe, that are not true, I'm going to correct you. If that's impolite in your opinion then I'm sorry. I would gain far more respect for you if you checked out the idea and gave it some serious consideration, and stopped making up things to make it look bad.
I really don't know where you get the idea from that I am criticising you in any way whatsoever. You are mistaken in that belief.

Quote:
Well, if the icons are "activated by the standard guide entries" including toc, then it seems to me that my toc guide entries would show on it. I wish I could get my hands on one to test it, but I can't.
The only Guide entries that the iLiad uses are TOC and "Start Reading". If these entries are present in the Guide, the corresponding navigation icon is active; it they are not present, the icon is disabled. It's not a menu system, so there's no way for any "extra" entries to show up - they are simply ignored. I only sold my iLiad a few weeks ago, so when I was experimenting with using the Guide I did a lot of testing on it.

Quote:
In that case, it would definitely create faster and easier navigation to place your toc as the very first or very last item in the book, allowing one click access (a feature already incorporated into my formatted books). The way you are putting your toc third, fourth, fifth in the book, with no guide item, requires a person to go hunting for the darn thing every single time they want to use it.
I'm afraid I don't follow you.

In my "single" books (eg the Dickens) my Table of Contents navigation entry takes you directly to the TOC. The TOC is not the first item in the book - that is perfectly true - but the TOC navigation entry takes you directly to it. If there is any book in which this does not work correctly, please let me know and I'll put it right.

Quote:
Then, in your multi book files, you're linking to title pages, with each book's toc another several pages in.
That's true, because I believe that's what most people would expect that navigation link to do. In a paper "omnibus" edition of a book, the overall book index would take you to the start of the book, not the chapter list for it. The TOC is virtually always on the very next page, so it's only a click away. I suppose it's a question of whether one feels that one click to get to the title page, or one click to get to the chapter list is more appropriate behaviour. My personal view is that the way I do it is preferable. I appreciate that others may feel otherwise. That's fine.

Quote:
Put your main toc as the very first or very last page of the file, for fast access.
As long as there's a navigation link which takes you directly to the table of contents, why does it being the very first or very last item in the book make access any faster? I'm afraid I don't quite follow your argument there.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote