View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
What really struck me was that, as a woman, I didn't connect with any of the female characters AT ALL. They were just paper dolls or something.
My guess is you'd find that with all seven of the Chandler Marlowe's; he often lavishes much more detail, sympathy and motivation on relatively minor male characters than he does on leading women in the plots.

Chandler's writing is witty, obtuse, clever, interior ... great qualities if you love "a good read". Chandler's works are among those that I don't want to end; they are steeped in their own juices.

If you don't like Chandler, you probably won't like Robert B Parker's Spencer series, either. Unlike many others, Parker's "gumshoe" is not derivative of Chandler, but more a reimagining. They have style, cleverness, unexpected humour and asides ... and are fine "good reads".
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote