View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
chaley
Grumpy old git
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many android devices
You are using the terms "content server" and "wireless device" somewhat interchangeably. For CC they are different connection types. Marvin supports only the content server.

What I think I understand is that CC cannot connect as a wireless device and that neither CC nor Marvin can connect to the content server, where recently both could connect. That says quite unambiguously that connections to calibre from outside the computer are being blocked. This is almost always caused by AV software. A calibre update can trigger new AV behavior.

Note that disabling an AV is often not enough. Some of them contain "internet security" that blocks incoming connections. Some, such as MalwareBytes, contain "security" inserts itself in the middle of network connections, breaking them more often then not. You can usually test for this by restarting your desktop in "safe mode with networking" and see if things now work. If they do then something running on your computer, probably the AV, is blocking connections.

Another possibility is that your home network router was updated and now enforces WiFi Guest Mode and/or Wireless Isolation.

A third possibility is that your desktop computer has decided that its network connection is "public", not "private". That breaks calibre and a lot of other stuff.

There are many suggestions for troubleshooting on our FAQ How do I setup Calibre Companion to connect to calibre?.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote