View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #47
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoleaf View Post
It is a really good point - even my wife, who is not very geeky, hates the idea of being stuck with an immoveable format. My preference, if I have to buy something that's DRM'd is to be able to strip it and use it how I like. It's like telling me which chair I can read a book in. It took the music industry quite some time to realize that DRM was holding things up - I'm sure the publishing industry will come to its sense eventually.
As far as I can tell, the two immoveable formats are Topaz (.tpz or .azw1) used in some Kindle books at Amazon and BBeb (.lrf) used for Sony PRS systems. Of the 103 Amazon books currently on my Kindle only 4 of them are in Topaz format. So, I don't worry too much about picking up books in the Topaz format -- except that some of the worst formatted books I've ever gotten were Topaz.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote