View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #28
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I find any number of shades of this discussion fascinating from a sociological and biological standpoint as an, in place, and therefore imperfect observer of the human condition:

1. On any given day, by an overwhelming margin, we are the predominate species present on the planet. So far as we know the only one that ever dominated to the degree that we have. (Yea, though I walk through the valley of death, I fear no evil 'cause I am the baddest and likely best armed mother... But, perhaps I should keep an eye on my "buddy" 'cause it's always frag your buddy day...)

2. We didn't get the "championship" by being faster, stronger, longer lived, able to survive in a wider range of climate, but by being more intelligent. Not intelligent, per se, just more than the rest of the competition, overall -not necessarily individually.

3. Despite our "success" to the point where the only predators we normally must fear as a species on any regular basis are others of our own species, or ourselves, we are still sort of stupid when it comes to the long term view in areas like conservation of resources or a clear plan of what we should accomplish as a species.

All that said, I still wonder that there is no direct connection between Kobo ereaders and Rakuten ad incomes, unless the Ivory ereaders have actual Ivory cases... Doubtful.

Further, as a philosophical point, what is our prime directive or purpose? Is it merely the biological imperative? Reproduction so that evolution can continue on? Do we owe other species a place at the table if they can't protect themselves?(Put the torches down, I'm playing Devil's Advocate, or maybe Natural Selection's Advocate...) Do we have a duty to protect that which can't protect itself? Are we going to foul up our mismanagement of resources so badly that the next predominate species might be asking themselves some of the above concerning whether we deserve to be protected... More importantly, will we be the creators of our own replacements rather than discoverers of silicon based lifeforms from elsewhere?

There must be a few good stories in there somewhere, but in no way should one enjoy them if they have a Kobo ereader in an actual Ivory case! Bad Rakuten, BAD!
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote