View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Sorry, but this is kind of a pointless exercise.

You can't determine anything from a voluntary poll with a few dozen respondents, especially when you're polling people who care enough about ebooks to actually spend time writing to each other about them.

If you don't like the figures, then I recommend you find some additional research that is based off of actual sales figures.
I only partially agree. Users of mobileread of course never will be a valid representation, as it gathers the enthusiasts. But if even those enthusiasts only spend, let's say, $ 100 per year, it's a first indicator those low figures may be correct.
And it's not really important. But I'm surprised how small this business still seems to be. If so, we probably can't expect a quantum leap of technology - focus of the "big ones" simply won't be there.
And I'm surprised, how little most users seem to spend. When investing in an eBook reader, my personal guess would be an average of 1 to 3 books per week. So I'd assume at least 50 books per year and user/reader. That's usually at least $ 500. And this would be my lowest guess. So either people don't read very much or mainly download from the "darknet".

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-16-2010 at 02:22 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote