View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 05:43 PM   #39
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Goal: 45 books in 2018

My overall goal for 2018 is to read 62* books. Although that'll be a bit of stretch since this year (2017) I read only 31. I manage 38 in 2016 which is my highest since I've tracked these things.

I want to participate in the New Leaf Book club so the first book I read each month should be that book.

My second will be something off my TBR, specifically from my pile of "Started not reading" tagged books.

If there's a third or fourth then I'll either read from my TBR generally, perhaps catch up on a series, or just something new that catches my eye.

Books

January - 3 books
Spoiler:

1. Whose Body? D.L. Sayers - 7/10 - not bad. Not normally a genre I read.
2. How to Stop Time, Matt Haig - 8/10 - a re-read for a book club. Enjoyable.
3. Hawksmoor, Peter Ackroyd - 6/10 - challenging read. Half set in 80's London, half in 1700s.

February - 6 books
Spoiler:

4. The Dream-Quest of Vellit Boe, Kij Johnson - 7/10 - OK. Would've helped if I'd known it was a response to a HP Lovecraft story.
5. Passing, Nella Larsen - 6/10 - Novella about mixed race women 'passing' for white in early 20thC New York. Felt like I was missing stuff.
6. Broken Homes, Ben Aaronovitch - 9/10 - Enjoyable addition to the series.
7. Annihilation, Jeff VanderMeer - 6/10 - Probably a good book for those that like it, not my kind of thing.
8. Foxglove Summer, Ben Aaronovitch - 8/10 - another good PC Grant book.
9. Frankenstein (1818 version), Mary Shelley - 7/10 - interesting to read the original book.

March - 12 books
Spoiler:

10. The Hanging Tree, Ben Aaronovitch - 8/10 - still enjoying the series though this book has a lot going on.
11. The Old Man and the Sea, Ernest Hemmingway - 8/10 - Never read it before. Book club pick.
12. I Capture the Castle, Dodie Smith - 10/10 - Wow. Was surprised how much I enjoyed this.
13. The Furthest Station, Ben Aaronovitch - 7/10 - standalone PC Grant novella.
14. Three Men in a Boat, Jerome K. Jerome - 7/10 - funny but not as much as I thought it would be.
15. Love May Fail, Matthew Quick - 7/10 - not bad. By the author of Silver Linings Playbook. Hits some of the same themes.
16. The Outsider, Albert Camus (tr. Sandra Smith) - 7/10 - Feeling like I didn't quite get it. Simple language, simple story. Odd main character.
17. The Old Man and the Sea, Ernest Hemmingway - 8/10 - re-read it to be fresh in my mind as it's short.
18. All Our Wrong Todays, Elan Mastai - 7/10 - alternate history/time-travel story with a romantic sub-plot and a rather dark section.
19. Versions of Us, Laura Barnett - 6/10 - the structure worked against enjoyment for me, though the writing was good.
20. Rule Zero, Laurence Timms - 7/10 - thriller about a magickal/psychic spy and the attempted invasion of London by a superhuman. Reminds me of H2G2 in tone.
21. The Bridge of Birds, Barry Hughart - 8/10 - a sort of Chinese myth version of the Princess Bride.

April - 12 books
Spoiler:

22. Soot, Andrew Martin - 9/10 - a 18th century murder mystery set in York and London.
23. The Story of the Stone, Barry Hughart - 8/10 - second book in the Master Li Chronicles (Bridge of Birds was the first)
24. 13 Dates, Matt Dunn - 5/10 - simplistic and implausible.
25. Eight Skilled Gentlemen, Barry Hughart - 7/10 - final in the Master Li Chronicles.
26. Last Night in Montreal, Emily St. John Mandel - 9/10 - haunting novel about leaving.
27. Making History, Stephen Fry - 7/10 - alternate reality/time-travel story.
28. Turtles All the Way Down - 8/10 - YA novel about mental health.
29. All The Good Things, Clare Fisher - 8/10 - novel about social exclusion and its effect on a young woman.
30. Holy Island, LJ Ross - 5/10 - crime thriller set on Lindisfarne. Can't decide if it's a brutal serial-killer tale or a bodice-ripper!
31. The Children Act, Ian McEwan - 8/10 - story of a marriage, of a court case, of life and death.
32. A Monster Calls, Patrick Ness - 9/10 - fantasy dealing with dealing with grief.
33. City of Stairs, Robert Jackson Bennett - 7/10 - fantasy crime/thriller. Great world-building and characters, found it a bit of a slog for some reason.

May - 7 books
Spoiler:

34. All Grown Up, Jami Attenberg - 7/10 - a novel about being single and not having any of the usual markers of adulthood (marriage, kids, career).
35. City of Blades, Robert Jackson Bennett - 7/10 - second in the Divine Cities trilogy. Enjoyed it slightly less than book 1, could have been trimmed I think.
36. On the Beach, Nevil Shute - 7/10 - kind of odd. Dated and with a flawed premise, I think. But still readable.
37. The Radium Girls, Kate Moore - 6/10 - important story about a public health issue. Bit of a slog, would rather have watched a documentary.
38. After You Left, Carol Mason - 6/10 - strange cross between a literary novel, family drama and romance. Noble but unsuccessful effort (for me)
39. The Rest of Us Just Live Here, Patrick Ness - 9/10 - what if you're not the chosen one when the apocalypse happens? What if you're just trying to figure out life, love and friendship?
40. The Crane Wife, Patrick Ness - 7/10 - based on a Japanese folk tale and a song inspired by the same. OK, not as good as the other two Ness's on this list.

June - 4 books
Spoiler:

41. Sourdough, Robin Sloan - 7/10 - weird, quirky, satirical (I think) book about tech startups and foodie hipsters in San Francisco.
42. The Three Musketeers, Alexandre Dumas - 6/10 - overly long, confused tone. Some swashbuckling fun in there though.
43. King Lear, William Shakespeare - 7/10 - dark and depressing.
44. 84K, Claire North - 8/10 - also dark and depressing. Dystopian alternate universe.

July - 0 books

August - 6 books
Spoiler:

45. A Boy and His Dog, Harlan Ellison - 6/10 - post-apocalyptic story/novella. Seen the movie (weird, a bit disturbing) now read the source material (also weird/disturbing)
46. Measure for Measure, William Shakespeare - 7/10 - play about morality, the law and sexual behaviour. Is it a dark comedy with extended serious scenes or a drama with some farce?
47. The Good Luck of Right Now, Matthew Quick - 7/10 - collection of quirky characters on a road trip. Walks a line of showing/exploiting mental illness.
48. The Humans, Matt Haig - 7/10 - comedy of alien pretending to be human and figuring out our wacky ways. Has some dark moments despite the lighter premise.
49. Expecting Someone Taller, Tom Holt - 9/10 - comic fantasy based on The Ring Cycle. Comfort food read for me. Score not objective at all
50. The Rest of Us Just Live Here, Patrick Ness - 8/10 - when in doubt, re-read something you enjoyed!

September - 1 book
Spoiler:

51. Seeds of Time, John Wyndham - 7/10 - Short story collection. Some good stories. Some dated.

October - 2 books
Spoiler:

52. Much Ado About Nothing, William Shakespeare - 9/10 - re-read of my favourite play.
53. Coriolanus, William Shakespeare - 7/10 - read it to follow along with a podcast. Interesting take on leadership and patriotism.

November - 6 books
Spoiler:

54. The Chalk Man, C.J. Tudor - 6/10 - serial killer set in 1986/2016. Had its moments but character development was weak.
55. The Lord of Light, Roger Zelazny - 7/10 - heard it was a classic. OK. A lot of action but since characters could get resurrected consequences felt less important.
56. Lies Sleeping, Ben Aaronovitch - 8/10 - latest Rivers of London. Fun, easy read. Nothing too new here, but the things that worked about previous books in the series still working.
57. How Not to Be a Boy, Robert Webb - 8/10 - autobiography of the writer, actor, comedian. Well written and brings out a theme of gender roles which is thought-provoking.
58. Monstrous Regiment, Terry Pratchett - 8/10 - my long-standing effort to complete the series, inches forward. Decent book on women and soldiering.
59. An Absolutely Remarkable Thing, Hank Green - 6/10 - wanting to know what happened pulled me through a book with an unlikeable MC. SciFi mixed with musing on social media fame. Warning: ends on a cliff-hanger for next book.

December 6 books
Spoiler:

60. The Power, Naomi Alderman - 7/10 - What if women suddenly became more physically powerful than men? Feminist fable/thought experiment.
61. You Think It, I'll Say It; Curtis Sittenfeld - 8/10 - literary short story collection. Engaging characters if sometimes light on plot.
62. The Diabolical Miss Hyde, Viola Carr - 8/10 - steampunk murder mystery with Dr Eliza Jekyll (daughter of Henry) as a Victorian CSI (really!). Silly but fun.
63. The Man I Thought I Knew, Mike Gayle - 7/10 - story of a friendship between two men. A little predictable and "flat" but inoffensive and easy to read.
64. A Hat Full of Sky, Terry Pratchett - 8/10 - Discworld #32, Tiffany Aching #2, I enjoyed this better than the first.
65. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen - 8/10 - another classic I'd never read. Entertaining story, sometimes the language was hard to parse.

total - 65 books

(*originally 45, then I upped it to 80, then back down to 60. And finally changed it to 62 because that's 2 x 31, last year's total)

Last edited by latepaul; 12-30-2018 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Finished a book
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote