View Single Post
Old 12-02-2016, 03:17 AM   #1
no-pork diet
no-pork diet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I have no idea what I'm doing; PLZ SHOW ME THE LIGHT

Hey everybody

I'm 100% green to this whole e-book world so bare with me here for any excessive noobishness. Anyway I've got some ebooks in PDF and epub format on my computer that I want to put onto my 2nd gen kindle paperwhite. After some searching I found out about Calibre and downloaded it so I could convert the files into either mobi or azw3 (btw which is the better format for my device?). I can convert them and get them onto my kindle, sure nuff. My problem is that when I pull up the newly converted documents using my kindle, I don't have a "functioning" table of contents, which makes it extremely gross and clunky to navigate.

So I did some more searching and all I could really find were posts that were a few years old. The consensus seemed to be that I would have to manually edit the html and insert the ToC myself. Now I don't have much coding experience but I'm the type to figure that sh*t out if y'all can point me to some good tutorials and/or reference points for a total beginner on how exactly to do that.

From what I gather so far, I'll need this Sigil application i just downloaded. I'll need to use calibre to convert my files to epubs 1st(if they aren't already), then open them up in Sigil to make the table of contents manually. Again most of the stuff I could find were on posts that were 2+ years old so if there's a simpler way and/or better software(it's gotta be free tho cus im poe ) that y'all know of, please direct me to it.

So I'm lookin for some info on:
-How to create that *interactive ToC using calibre, sigil, or whatever other software yall recommend to get the job done
*I repeat; I am a noob so not sure what the technical terms are but by interactive I mean: ebooks I download from the kindle store let me use the "go to" tab and select chapters and/or subheadings like hyperlinks, taking me directly to whichever chapter or subheading I select.
-Some relevant posts, threads, etc that can teach me the basics of how to edit the code to get what I'm looking for
-If there are any easier more updated ways to create a table of contents with instuctions on how to, or a link to some instructions
-Which format is best for my device?

Thanks a lot
no-pork diet is offline   Reply With Quote