View Single Post
Old 10-17-2008, 06:15 PM   #71
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
it should be noted in appendix C 'unbricking the device' that changing the text ...40 to 41, could give trouble whenever there's a Sony update for the device.
chances are small, but people no longer will be able to update their device to:
PRS-505 Updater 1.1.00.18041.exe

I'd also ask for caution in this matter, because as soon as Sony gets wind of this they will disable the possibility for you to do this in the future.
I want to remind you of the PSP, where Sony fought hard for 2 years with several OS updates to 'secure' the PSP. For us it seems like we can improve their products.
For them they take it as a breach in security, and probably fear that customers will return their products once they brick them.

Tampering with any of their devices is not really welcomed by Sony.
I don't really like this policy, but the past has proven Sony is more than willing to put a team of engeneers ready to further secure the software data inside their products.

That ofcourse isn't really bad, because Sony had to do something to convince customers to update their OS.
So their newer OS had more feats than their previous, resulting in the PSP being able to browse the internet, and so on...

And honestly, the homebrew guys, most of them where IT cracks, that invented an OS that ran on the PSP,and could play many (other than Sony) games.

If sony sees you can already change the lettertype, I hope they will not start fearing you'd also be able to buy books on Amazon with a hack on their device, or start manufacturing your own type of games that run on this device (or something)....

Same with laptop batteries. The only reason almost every Sony Vaio has a different battery is to discourage third party sellers that can offer batteries at often 1/3th the price of Sony.
In worst case scenario I found batteries sold online at 18% of the original Sony batteries. Sony warned customers about fake low quality batteries, but so far I've been using this battery for 1,5 years and it still runs my laptop longer than the original unused lower capacity Sony battery. Never caught fire, never became hot...
you know..

Last edited by ProDigit; 10-17-2008 at 06:18 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote