View Single Post
Old 11-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #29
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
a non techie question: would it be reasonable to expect that future frimware versions should NOT break koreader and coolreader (though maybe fmon may be brokn)?
I am getting a Mini for my mum, and tempted to add at least koreader for pdf, but worry about the effects of future firmware updates, as we live varous countries apart, so I would not be able to try and fix things for her.
The real techies are over in the "Developer's Corner" you might get a much better answer in Giorgio's thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216960

I run Koreader with Nickel killed, so Koreader is not using any of that. There are some lower level functions that all the software make use of, but they are generally things that are unlikely to be messed with in a firmware update.

You might want to save a backup of the mnt\onboard directory, before sending it to her. If your mom can copy/merge folders she would be able to install the build that works after a firmware update, even if the update did cause an issue. You might have to talk her through the process though, but at least everything you would need can be sent via the internet.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote