View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #141
toyz
toyz began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRANGER View Post
Damn yall are smart on this..Im in IT (sys admin) and did VB programming....Where can I learn how to do this stuff? I want to help but at this time the only thing I can contribute is graphics for future roms, bug testing in the future and anything yall ask that i can research how to do on Google...Let me know how I can help
My experience comes from bricking Linksys WRT54G while flashing them with OpenWRT and DD-WRT. I'm a software developer and sysadmin on the Linux / Java side of the spectrum. I've messed with Linux kernel boot parameters on and off for the last 15 years.

Forums are great... Wikis are great. But it sure does seem like we have to do about 100x the reading to find information. A wiki that is obsessively updated is good, but maybe the same with a sticky page here that is edited.

Areas that I personally need to know more about for dev work on Android:

- What is the purpose of all the files in the update.zip?
- Are the files in update.zip standard? Do other devices update.zip have crc?
- All the mappings of our PE to the MTD device "partitions"
- How we push a file from USB Flash into an MTD partition.
- What we'd use u-boot for vs adb
- I assume if we get an adb shell, it's not a root shell?
- What is the cyanogenmod gapps-xxxx.zip look like inside and what does it do? Can we use it to get Google Market etc?
- What are the partition types (are they mountable in Linux) of the MTD partitions?

What I'd like to do is blow various things into an unused MTD partition and point u-boot at them to boot. Example, ClockWorkMod.

Probably all this needs to be in a new thread.... Also, I've not been reading all the forums on this site, I'm sure discussion of other Android based devices show us all kinds of gems.

Last edited by toyz; 10-14-2011 at 12:05 PM.
toyz is offline   Reply With Quote