View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #140
toyz
toyz began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Someone asked about the holes I cut/drilled for easy access to the serial console header.

Attached are my two PE.

One I used a drill from the inside. I made pilot wholes then used a bigger drill bit with the right diameter for the hole/slot width that I desired.

After finding my dremel tool... I dremeled from the outside without taking the cover off. The dremel bit was not wide enough so the cut wasn't quite as nice as the drill. I took the cover off afterward to see how much plastic shavings was in there. To my surprise it was relatively clean, I doubt debris would be an issue if you didn't want to take the cover off. My big problem with this way is you are kind of blind where you are cutting, even if you have one already cut as reference. (don't go too deep, or the wrong way if you see 2 of the 3 pins)

If I had to do it over again, I'd take the cover off and use a drill with about 3 pilot holes, not a dremel. With the dremel I was too close to the edge of the lid. With the drill I was too far away and the header connector has to be bound sideways a bit.

Also attached is a pic of my homemade cable. I forgot to note, I repined the 4 pin header connector to 3 pins and cut off the unused slot with a razor blade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3440.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	77806   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3443.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	77807  

Last edited by toyz; 10-14-2011 at 12:08 PM.
toyz is offline   Reply With Quote