View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 09:21 AM   #28
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
MobiPocket Creator recommends that "High Compression" should "only be used for very large files such as dictionaries". I always use "Standard Compression" myself.
I read their recommendation, and I know you use Standard. Since High was available, I wondered if anyone knew of platforms where it didn't work.

Tompe has weighed in with the fact that his mobiperl tools can't successfully extract a Mobi file created with it. I haven't looked to see what his perl code is doing, so I don't know why it might fail.

I've tested it here, and High Compression works fine on my PalmOS device, with as gratifying size reduction. Default Mobi compression appears to be Palm DOC compatible, meaning a variant of RLE yielding about 40% compression. High compression looks closer to what I see with Zlib -- zip/gzip compatible, with about 70% compression.

I know what I'm using for Mobi files I create for my own use...
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote