View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
* Privacy. Can Amazon really see what personal content I have on my reader at all times? If I have de-DRM'd content on there, can they see it? Can they remove it? I think they can see it, but I don't really have my whispernet on all that much. I use Calibre to manage my books, so I usually don't have very many on my kindle at one time, so I don't worry about it.

* The screen. I've read several reports about how fragile the screen is. Are these really just isolated reports, or is this really a common occurance? If you've had a screen break, how did it break and how was Amazon customer service to work with regarding this issue?
I just had a screen on my K1 break (I think). I had had the kindle for over a year, and was itching to buy the kindle 2 anyway, so I just went ahead and got one. I get a really nice cover for my K1 and my K2, which I think helps protect it.

* The size. How big is the Kindle compared to say my old Palm T/X or the Sony Readers? I want something smaller than my netbook because I'm tired of lugging it around, and it's clunky to use when all I want to do is read a book. Am I going to be able to carry the Kindle in my purse/bag? With the (possible) screen issues would I even want to carry it in my purse/bag? What kind of protective case would you recommend for it?I carry mine in my purse. I had an Oberon cover for my K1, and I bought a Belkin cover for my K2, because I like to read my K2 naked.

* I really want a device that just reads eBooks, but if it could play MP3's as well that would be a bonus. Can the K2 do this? If so, how difficult is it to get (and use) the music on the device, and does listening to music deplete the battery more rapidly?I don't know, I never used the music feature.

* If I shop at Fictionwise, or BoB, do I have to pay a fee to get the book onto my Kindle via the "whispernet?"Amazon does charge to transfer documents not purchased from Amazon via whispernet. However, since books bought somewhere else need to be converted in order to work on the kindle, I transfer via computer.

What is the one thing you love most about your Kindle that you can't live without? What is the one thing you wish your Kindle had/did that it doesn't?I can't live without my kindle. I love to read, and I am hooked on taking my books everywhere I go. I am hooked on how easy it is to read in bed (no rustling of pages, no adjusting the light with each page turn.) I love samples. I love reading library books on my kindle. I can check out books at 2am, thanks to MobileRead.

I would usually say the one thing I wish it had was categories. But I love Calibre so much, I don't care anymore. I just look in Calibre, and decide the top 5 books in each category I want on my kindle. So I guess the only thing I wish it had was a user replaceable battery. But with the way electronics change these days, I will probably want a new model long before the battery dies.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote