View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
So I am curious, if every device one owns will read epub because it is the new standard, what is the incentive to 'liberate' it? Is there still one? On the plus, if one 'liberates' and loads it onto a device with text to speech or some such feature, you can use your book regardless of whether the publisher 'allows' it or not. And it seems the file sizes of my 'liberated' books are much smaller than most of the free books I have downloaded from the Sony store.
Correct these limits are imposed on the DRM scheme.

I have an ereader that supported adobe DRM and one that supports MOBI. Liberating would allow me to read on both since ePUB MobiReader converts ePUB to MOBI on the fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
On the minus though, 'liberating' is a lot of work. I have downloaded the epub scripts and not tried them yet, but I know that my secure eReader books need a bit of formatting clean-up once I get them freed, and that can be tedious and time-consuming. There is definite appeal, for a heavy reader like me, in being able to just download, load into the reader and go without needing to do all this work and wind up with a not as pretty plain text file in the end.
My friend you have NO idea how hard you are working. Version 6+ of ereader2html now saves off the PML and images. You can use dropbook (free at ereader.com) to re-create the PDB sans DRM. Or you can just zip up the PML + images. From here calibre can create any supported format. There is no need to touch up the HTML unless that is the final format you wish to have.

To my knowledge ereader2html tool that actually destroyed the original format.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote