View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 03:19 PM   #1
hx0
hx0 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.hx0 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.hx0 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.hx0 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.hx0 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.hx0 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.hx0 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.hx0 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.hx0 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.hx0 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.hx0 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Pocketbook Touch
Lightbulb RemoteInk - a tool for using PocketBook e-reader as a computer monitor

My eyes get tired when using a computer, that's why I bought an e-reader several years ago. After buying I got an idea to use the reader instead of a PC display not only during reading books, but during other activities (when color transfer and monitor reaction time don't significant): browsing the Internet, writing texts, programming etc.

It's clear that you can't watch videos using the reader but writing texts on the reader is quite comfortable (remember your feelings during using a keyboard on a reader's touchscreen). I was surprised that I didn't find complete solutions to replace a PC display with my reader. There are several similar projects (some of them were referred on this forum), but, unfortunately, they weren't compatible with my reader or their use has not seemed to me quite comfortable. Nevertheless, their existence confirmed to me a relevance of this topic.

So, I developed RemoteInk program that allows to use Pocketbook Pro/Touch E-Ink reader as a computer monitor. The goal was an ability to comfortably use and control a computer's GUI using only the reader's screen without a typical display.

Note that at present only computers on Linux (and X11 window system) are supported.

Photo: Using Geany on Linux Mint with RemoteInk

With the current version you can:
* Connect a reader to a computer using Wi-Fi or USB
* Configure connection parameters in UI on the reader
* Change the reader's screen orientation (portrait or landscape)
* Select which part of the monitor is visible or zoom it
* Track windows (active window is always visible) and save its own scale for each of them
* Easily switch between windows
* Adjust active window's size to dimensions of the reader's screen
* See a cursor and restrict its movements to the area visible on the reader
* Invert screen colors
* Customize keyboard shortcuts for most of the actions above
* Set a password for a connection
* Use the application with a typical computer (with i686/amd64 architecture) or Raspberry Pi

The program's sources with full features description, installation and usage instructions are available on GitHub.

The project doesn't pretend to be perfect or widely used, but I hope that there are people for whom this program will be useful or insteresting. I'll be glad your comments.

Last edited by hx0; 02-25-2015 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Fix typo
hx0 is offline   Reply With Quote