View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If you don't care whether you get the book back, you can have books scanned at 1dollarscan.com. You will then download a pdf file of your book to your computer. Then get ABBYY Transformer (about $40) to convert that scan from pdf to epub. From there you can use Calibre to convert to AZW* or mobi if you want.

I am vision impaired myself and can no longer read novels (even cookbooks have now become very difficult). I only do this IF the book is not already available in ebook form and they are typically older books. You can have things sent directly from Amazon to their shop in CA. I've had them scan some magazines as well, but unless it's a literary magazine, those don't translate to epub very well: all those columns and ads.

You don't need permission of the author to have your personal book scanned. I've been VERY happy with the service at 1dollarscan. I think out of the many dozens of books I have sent in, I've had 2 redone (one was missing half a page, another had bleed through from the other side of the page and one was scanned rather lightly).

FWIW, ABBYY Finereader is a more robust program if you plan to do a lot of books or if you have specialized text. Look online for it to compare the two programs.

If you only plan to do a couple of books, let me know by private email and I might be able to help you do the conversion from pdf to epub.

Last edited by Tarana; 07-23-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote