View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #12
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
Even though I have a Kindle, I thought I rather want to buy books in EPUB format. I see a bigger utility in them in the long run.

The following three UK shops sell the same (DRM) book for the exact same amount:
- Foyles
- Waterstones
- WH Smith (Kobo UK)

Now I know Amazon's system (I have to download their software to my PC, then look for the book in My Documents directory). I have no idea how the above 3 works but which of these 3 is the least painful to get my hands on the physical EPUB file to later do whatever I feel like with it (read: Alf). Instead of trying all 3 by myself, I would like to use your experiences.

Now the above question is for the UK situation (for books cheaper in the UK) but in the long run I will need the same solution (least painful to extract EPUB from) for US sellers as well.
I'm not sure that I understand your question - but if you want to buy epub books then you can continue to purchase from Amazon but just use Calibre's Alf plug in to handle the rights and conversion issues.

I use Sony's Reader for PC as my desktop software which is where all my epubs (and library epubs) get dropped into.

From there I import the title into Calibre and it does it's thing.

So - you will continue to use Kindle desktop as your desktop software for Amazon products, you'll use Sony Reader for all your epubs irrespective of whether you buy them from Kobo or any of the 3 you mentioned.

Hope that helps
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote