View Single Post
Old 07-16-2020, 11:45 AM   #198
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I see 3 questions here--

1. Should we separate the works from what we know of the authors' views and intentions? I would say no. Tolkien's works may be a good example, since his works incorporate a lot of racist attitudes, as well as royalist tropes about descent have been interpreted as racist ones, even as he's trying to oppose racism.

2. Or the authors' other actions? I think it depends. P.S. And railroading 5 black kids is *relevant* when someone is writing mystery or crime, or frankly anything involving American society.

3. Should we refuse to read and/or support certain works because they might fund or signal-boost or otherwise support evil? I think we should refuse to support some. Of course No Ethical Consumption and all that...

I see this as a matter of criticism and choice, not censorship. I haven't read the Princeton letter and wouldn't feel qualified to weigh in on it if I had.

Is there another question I'm missing here?

Last edited by MarjaE; 07-16-2020 at 11:48 AM.