View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
There is no guaranteed way of getting an ebook listed for free on Amazon. If it's listed elsewhere for free, Amazon might match the price, and it might stay at free, or they might put it back up.

Why aren't you impressed with the free borrowing part of KDP Select? I put one book in Select recently as an experiment, and I got roughly the same for borrows as I did for sales. The only thing I don't like about Select is the exclusivity requirement.
Thanks, Russell. Good to know it's so iffy. And as far as KDP Select. I don't know. I just can't get my head around it. I too don't like the exclusivity. And then it's like they're trying to corner the market. (And I have to say it's very tempting just to go with them with everything. They do make it very easy to do just that). It's good to hear that the borrow thing works out. But I think ultimately it's like they're just ravenous to snuff out the competition that bothers me. I mean, yeah, there's competition but let's be sane about it. (I used to work with a guy who wore a button that said: "I just want it all." That's kind of what Amazon is like to me.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I completely understand why Amazon offer a book free for a single day. I was responding to Greg's comment that he might wish to make his book free for 100 days. That probably wouldn't be a good idea at all from Amazon's perspective.
Thanks Harry. I've thought of that--that Amazon is in business to make money (not just a service to make my ebook available.). It's just the whiffs of exclusivity and monopolism that the KDP Select program gives off that I'm uncomfortable with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
So, you may think that, but they have been doing it for a very large number of ebooks for a very long time. They are currently king of the Ebook market (at least USA) and making a killing doing just that. There are thousands of free ebooks on Amazon. Many of them are not worth even that much, but I have found some great gems that way.

All I can say is it is working for them, and for me since I am one of those ebooks that has been free for years with them.

It is just the ebook version of the standard loss leader, IMO.
Thanks Vincent. I went to your author page and saw that that free book had a lot of reviews, which is great. So you seem really happy with that free book as a loss leader. So did that book being continuously free lead to a lot of sales of the paperback version of the book or your other books? (P.S. I liked your author page--very nice.)
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote