View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #11
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by esecallum View Post
You are completely wrong again.

My requirements are minimal.
No, he's not wrong.

I don't care how minimal your requirements are. Before this will happen, someone with the ability to do it will have to see an opportunity to make money doing it.

The first question is how much you can make on a device like what you desire.

Semiconductor electronics are pure economies of scale. A good chunk of the cost of a device is the debt service on the financing needed to build the factory to make the device. The more widgets you can make, the smaller a share of the overhead each will carry, and the cheaper you can make the price.

The problem is, to get really low pricing, you have to make and sell lots of widgets. Is the market for what you want large enough to let a manufacturer make them at your preferred price point and make enough money to justify doing it? I very much doubt it.

We aren't talking about something like an iPod for whom everyone is a potential customer. Devices to read ebooks are a niche market. It's a growing market, with more competitors tossing their hats into the ring, but it's nowhere near supporting what you want to see.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote