View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 01:44 AM   #18287
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I've certainly enjoyed Spenser so far, just one book, and I see the roots of Harry Dresden in the Spenser character. The only thing I know about Hawk is the the TV version was played by Avery Brooks before he joined Star Fleet. I did a little research and observed that Hawk doesn't show up till Promised Land (Spenser #4)!
Overall, I think the series improves when Hawk gets there. He's way too good to be true, but he's a good foil for Spenser. And while Avery Brooks plays him as too "nice" for the real Hawk, he's still enjoyable in the part.

I've got some of the early Spenser books on my Kindle. Must be about that time.

Quote:
A while back I started the HH series and gave up on it rather quickly. As I remember it seemed to be way too full of techno-babble and background filler about military hardware and objectives for my personal taste.

Well, yeah. The hardware technobabble plays to some of his hard core fans. I just skim over it. But my real complaint is that the editing has fallen down. There are way too many l o n g scenes where it's a bunch of secondary characters droning on in some meeting or other. But I like the series inspite of its flaws, and I am nearly there now. One more book to go and I'll be through the current batch.

But I think I'll take a break before I jump on that last one. Time for a quick dip back to Liad for The Tomorrow Log, which I have a new Audible version of to read alongside my eBook version. One thing no one ever accused Lee & Miller of is writing too long. I always end up wanting more.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote