View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #60
WPotocki
Connoisseur
WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
Broadly speaking I agree. For the undirected man rage is wearying and futile, but when you use it to drive your obsession it becomes a powerful motivation. Just ask Gully Goyle. Hmm.

The trick with rage is avoiding its manifestation - which is why rage and alcohol is a shoddy combination.

Now, you'll argue, I expect, that "Love" is a more positive motivation, but I've never felt an ounce of love that didn't lead to a metric tonne of rage not long after.
Nope! Wasn't going to say that at all. Remember, we're talking about triggering/activating limbic system so love really wouldn't be all that good. However, the 'passion' of love would. I did try that. The first story I wrote I was having trouble with. It was a twisted little story of sick individuals getting together. Underneath all the horrors that sprang from it, was a love story. Used Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. It was always a favorite of mine and elicits all this passion and sadness and doom, exactly what the story was about! Boom! Two seconds into the music, the tears flowed and so did the story! Never looked back.

Unfortunately, it was my first effort. It needs work. Very, very right-brained and most readers HATE that kind of writing! I happen to love, but understand where it's way different than what they're used to.

Again, it has to be a 'bigger than life' emotion. Not like pink happy "I'm in love," or 'life is good." In terms of a philosophy or life purpose, yes, I would indeed argue that love is much better than rage to strive for, but not necessarily for getting to that limbic system!

Actually, have this whole theory on how Greek mythology is key in explaining how to activate, but, you know, it's my theory and most likely makes sense only to me!
WPotocki is offline   Reply With Quote